When planning a trip to Stockholm, Sweden’s capital, you may be surprised to find that there are not one but four airports serving this beautiful city. Deciding which airport is most suitable for your trip might seem challenging at first. In this article, we will provide you with all you need to know about these airports so that you can make an informed decision based on your preferences and needs.
“Discovering Stockholm’s skies: A guide to choosing the perfect gateway to Sweden’s enchanting capital.”
Table of Contents
- 1. Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN)
- 2. Bromma Stockholm Airport (BMA)
- 3. Skavsta Airport (NYO)
- 4. Västerås Airport (VST)
1. Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN)
Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN) serves as the primary gateway to Sweden’s charming capital city, Stockholm. Located approximately 40 kilometers north of the city center, the airport is a bustling hub for both domestic and international flights. Welcoming over 25 million passengers annually, it ranks as the largest airport in Sweden and boasts five modern terminals filled with a wide range of amenities.
“Stockholm Arlanda Airport: A sustainable gateway to Sweden’s charming capital, where modern amenities and efficient transportation merge with responsible travel experiences.”
Travelers can expect excellent shopping and dining options, comfortable lounges, and efficient transportation links to downtown Stockholm. The airport also prides itself on its sustainability efforts, including energy-efficient technologies and waste management initiatives, ensuring that visitors can enjoy a responsible travel experience while exploring all that Stockholm has to offer.
Location: 40 km (25 miles) north of Stockholm
Airlines: Serves more than 100 destinations worldwide; majority of international flights land here
- The largest and busiest airport in Sweden
- Offers a wide range of services and amenities such as shopping, dining, car rental agencies, and hotels
- Direct train connection (Arlanda Express) to central Stockholm in just 20 minutes
- Bus services available with Flygbussarna and Flixbus
- Longer distance from central Stockholm compared to other airports
- Arlanda Express can be expensive if not booked in advance
Tip: When taking the Arlanda Express train, book tickets online at least 7 days in advance for significant discounts.
2. Bromma Stockholm Airport (BMA)
Bromma Stockholm Airport, located just 8 kilometers northwest of the bustling city center, is a convenient and accessible gateway to the beautiful capital of Sweden. Serving as both a domestic and international airport, it provides travelers with a more intimate and relaxed experience compared to its larger counterpart, Arlanda Airport. Rich in history, Bromma Stockholm Airport first opened its doors in 1936, making it the nation’s oldest operating airport.
“Embracing history and charm, Bromma Stockholm Airport serves as a gateway to Sweden’s capital, seamlessly connecting travelers to the vibrant heart of the city.”
Today, visitors can enjoy a variety of facilities including cozy cafes and shops offering a taste of Swedish culture. Its strategic location allows for easy connections to public transportation such as buses and trains, ensuring that exploring Stockholm’s stunning attractions is hassle-free for every passenger who steps foot in this charming airport.
Location: Only 9 km (5.6 miles) west of downtown Stockholm
Airlines: Primarily serves domestic flights within Sweden; limited international flights mostly within Europe
- Closest airport to central Stockholm; ideal for those looking for quick access to the city center
- Can reach the city center via bus or taxi within 20 minutes depending on traffic conditions
- Limited destinations served; mainly caters domestic flights
- No direct train connection like Arlanda Airport; public transportation options are limited to buses
Tip: Use the Flygbussarna buses or local bus 110 to reach central Stockholm from Bromma Airport.
3. Skavsta Airport (NYO)
Nestled in the picturesque countryside of Nyköping, Sweden, Skavsta Airport (NYO) is a popular alternative to Stockholm’s bustling international airport. Serving as a hub for low-cost airlines such as Ryanair and Wizz Air, Skavsta offers travelers an affordable and convenient gateway to explore Sweden’s enchanting capital and its surrounding regions. Located just 100 kilometers southwest of Stockholm, the airport’s cozy size makes for a less hectic travel experience. Don’t forget to take advantage of the charming local cafés and shops while you wait for your flight!
“Skavsta Airport: A serene gateway to Sweden’s enchanting capital and breathtaking Sörmland, where affordable travel meets picturesque countryside charm.”
With its proximity to the breathtaking Sörmland region – teeming with lush forests, serene lakes, and historical landmarks – Skavsta Airport is not only a cost-effective choice but also an opportunity to discover some of Sweden’s lesser-known natural wonders.
Location: 100 km (62 miles) southwest of Stockholm, near Nyköping
Airlines: Low-cost carriers such as Ryanair and Wizz Air; serves mostly European destinations
- Budget-friendly option for travelers flying within Europe
- Shuttle bus connections available to Stockholm City Centre with travel time around 80 minutes
- Far from central Stockholm, making it less convenient for short trips or tight schedules
- Limited services and amenities compared to larger airports
Tip: Purchase shuttle bus tickets in advance on the Flygbussarna website for a discounted price.
4. Västerås Airport (VST)
Västerås Airport, located just 5 kilometers east of the beautiful city of Västerås in Sweden, is a hidden gem for travelers seeking a more relaxed and convenient travel experience. Often overshadowed by its larger counterparts like Stockholm Arlanda Airport, Västerås Airport offers an intimate and easy-to-navigate atmosphere with exceptional customer service. Serving as a hub for regional flights within Sweden and nearby European countries, this airport provides efficient connections to popular destinations while avoiding the hustle and bustle often found in larger airports.
“Västerås Airport, where intimate atmospheres and efficient connections meet, offering travelers a delightful escape from the hustle and bustle of larger airports.”
As you sip your coffee at one of the cozy cafés or browse through charming local shops before your flight, you’ll be reminded that sometimes smaller airports can offer an unexpectedly delightful start to your journey.
Location: Around 100 km (62 miles) west of Stockholm, near Västerås
Airlines: Primarily serves charter flights and seasonal routes operated by low-cost carriers such as Ryanair
- Another budget-friendly alternative for travelers looking to save on airfare
- Bus connection available to reach Stockholm city center within approximately 75 minutes
- Long distance from central Stockholm like Skavsta Airport
- Limited flight options and fewer amenities compared to major airports like Arlanda and Bromma
Tip: Book your bus ticket online via Flixbus or Flygbussarna to secure the best prices and guaranteed seats.
In conclusion, while each of these airports has its advantages and drawbacks, choosing the right one ultimately depends on factors such as your budget, flight route availability, convenience, and proximity to your final destination. We hope this guide helps you make an informed decision when planning your trip to the stunning city of Stockholm!
Last Updated on June 8, 2023